This week is National Friends of the Library week and we’d like to take this opportunity to thank all of our Friends. They are great and do many things for us.
The Friends sponsor our annual All Henrico Reads event, provide prizes for Summer Reading Clubs and much, much more.
There are many ways throughout the year that you can contribute to the Friends – from making a purchase at one of our book sale areas to becoming a member through a tax-deductible donation.
Becoming a Friend is easy and doesn’t take a lot of time. All that is required is a desire to help the library and a modest annual contribution. Visit our Friends of the Library page for more information.
School is back in session and homework will be rolling in soon. We’ve got great resources to help with all levels of homework needs.
When you’ve got questions take a look at some of these resources:
Take a look at our premium online databases.
The library pays for access to these quality resources, which provide up-to-date information that you can trust. All you need is your library card for access to thousands of articles from newspapers, magazines, and scholarly journals.
Here are all our databases and our suggested databases for kids.
Ask a Librarian
Give your library a call; or you can email, text or chat with us via askHCPL.
Getting (free) LIVE Homework Help from a REAL TEACHER
Teachers are available to help students in grades 3-12 with Reading, Writing, Science and Math using Literati’s Homework Help.
Look for the “Tutoring in Math, Science, English & SAT” box on the right side of the page, then enter your first name, grade level and subject to get started.
Summer Reading Club is over and we hope everyone had a great summer, read some great books and is ready for fall.
Help us make next year even better by filling out our Kids Survey, Teen Survey, and/or Adult Survey.
You can still check in and print your reading list until the end of September – Kids | Teens | Adults
Lots of you met your age group’s reading goal this summer! When you reached that goal you were automatically entered into prize drawings. These random prize drawings were held recently and the winners are…
PreK Grand Prize
$50 World of Mirth Gift Card
K-5 Grand Prize
Disc Golf Set
Teen Grand Prize
Adult Grand Prize
(We’ll add more pictures as we get them)
It’s September. That means it’s National Library Card Sign-Up month!
You can do a lot with your library card. In addition to checking out books and movies it gives you access to:
- Downloadable eBooks, audiobooks, magazines, video, and music – Use your eReader, tablet, smartphone or computer to download eBooks, audiobooks, music, video and digital magazines anywhere you have an internet connection.
- Premium Online Resources – We subscribe to several databases and learning tools like Consumer Reports, Rosetta Stone, Chilton’s, ValueLine, Heritage Quest and much more.
- Homework Help – In addition to our awesome staff who are fantastic at helping with homework questions in person, on the phone and online, we have lots of online tools to help with homework. Some are live online help from a teacher, World Book Online and lots of other trusted, citable sources in our premium online resources.
- Programs For All Ages – We have something for everyone from babies to seniors; story times, crafts, teen advisory boards, book discussions, computer classes, author showcases and much more.
- Community Space for Meeting, Learning, and Relaxing – We offer meeting, conference and study rooms, comfortable spaces to read and relax, computers, and early literacy activity centers for children.
Library cards are free for Henrico County residents. Many non-residents qualify for a free card too! And in September, we are waiving the cost of replacing lost or damaged cards!
Visit your library to find out how to get your own library card and (re)discover all the things you can do at the library.
Thank you to everyone who donated food during last month’s food drive.
You donated 761 pounds of food to the Central Virginia Food Bank. Wow!
Thank you so much!
Thanks to a partnership between the Library of Virginia, Virginia State Parks and the Science Museum of Virginia. Henrico County Public Library now has Nature Exploration Backpacks available for check out. Each backpack checks out for 14 days and contains information and materials to make a trip to one of Virginia’s 36 state parks a fun learning experience for the entire family.
Each Backpack contains the following:
- Parking Pass for free parking/entrance to all Virginia State Parks
- Pocket Naturalist Bugs and Slugs Guide
- Pocket Naturalist Animal Tracks Guide
- Pocket Naturalist Virginia Birds Guide
- Pocket Naturalist Mammals Guide
- Pocket Naturalist Virginia Trees & Wildflowers Guide
- Port-A-Bug Field Observation Container
- Big Foot Leave No Trace Ethics Card
- Magnifying Lens
- Dip Net
Check our catalog for availability and check out your backpack on reserve today.
Please help the Central Virginia Food Bank feed children and seniors living in poverty and many others in need in our community. Visit feedmore.org to learn more about the fight against hunger.
We will be collecting food donations for FeedMore’s Central Virginia Food Bank at any of our locations until July 31.
Some of the most needed items are:
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Tuna and Chicken
- Low Sodium Veggies
- Fruits Packed in Juice
- Spaghetti Sauce (no glass)
- Canned or Dry Beans
- Hot & Cold Cereals
- Whole Grain Snacks