Since we just launched our OverDrive collection I’d like to take this opportunity to help you get yourself and your computer ready to use it. There are a few things you have to do in order to enjoy the service to it’s fullest capacity.
Create a free Adobe Account
You have to have an account with Adobe to use OverDrive. Why? The short answer is…the Digital Rights Management for OverDrive eBooks is managed with Adobe software. By having an Adobe account you will be able to transfer eBooks from your computer to an eReader (Nook, Sony etc.).
To sign up with Adobe:
- Click here.
- Choose ‘Create an Adobe Account’.
- Fill in the form. You only have to fill in the required fields marked with a red asterisk. This will establish your Adobe ID and password.
- Remove the checks in the 3 boxes under ‘Communication Preferences’ if you do not wish to have Adobe contact you.
- Click ‘Continue’.
You now have an account with Adobe. Hurray!
Download and Install Adobe Digital Editions
Adobe Digital Editions is the free software that will manage the eBooks you download from OverDrive. You can use it to read eBooks, transfer them to your eReader, delete expired titles and return eBooks you finished early. It’s a handy piece of software.
To download and install Adobe Digital Editions:
- Click here.
- Scroll down a little bit and click Install (it’s a brown button). You may be prompted to update to a newer version of Adobe’s Flash player.
- Follow the prompts clicking ‘Yes’, ‘Next’ and ‘Install’ where appropriate.
- Adobe Digital Editions will open automatically when the download is complete.
- When prompted, authorize your computer by supplying your Adobe ID and password you created earlier.
Your computer is now ready for eBooks from OverDrive!
Download and Install OverDrive Media Console
OverDrive Media Console is the free software that will manage any Audiobooks you download from OverDrive. You can use it to listen to Audiobooks, transfer them to your digital music player, burn them to CD’s (when possible), and delete them when the lending period has expired.
To download and install the OverDrive Media Console:
- Click here.
- Choose the version you need to install. It should have the appropriate version selected for you.
- Click ‘Download Now’.
- Follow the prompts clicking ‘Run’, and ‘Next’ where appropriate.
- Agree to the terms of service.
If you are using OverDrive Media Console for Windows you will probably need a security upgrade. Don’t worry. The first time you try to use the Media Console, it will let you know. If you do, follow the instructions provided to complete the process.
Your computer is now ready for Audiobooks from OverDrive!
We wrote these instructions for a handout that you can print out if you’d like. (Getting your computer ready for OverDrive) This handout is also available at our libraries too.
I hope you will enjoy this new service!